Writing Reflections

Cracking the Cover Letter

Cover letters are a part of job, internship, and practicum applications that always tripped me up.  As soon as I saw the words “cover [...]

Triage Your Thinking

I often have trouble deciding what to write about in a paper. It is typical for one initial idea to spin off into multiple [...]

The Pre-Writing Process

I used to think I could sit down, write, and create something incredible. It’s easy enough to convey an idea through words; I speak [...]

Nurturing Creativity

Perhaps one of the most challenging and time consuming stages of my writing process is finding out what I want to write. Finding an [...]

Beyond Rules

I recently went through a box of ephemera from high school, including old essays. Each one I read started with a dictionary definition. According [...]

Procrastination Nation

I acquired a nasty habit in college: procrastination. However, I’ve started retraining myself not to wait until the last minute to write. I used [...]

Reading Your Reader

“You need a comma here. Also, what does this sentence mean?” I know unclear comments are just a part of getting feedback, but I [...]

Finding Clarity Despite the Clutter

Like many, I multi-task throughout the day, juggling various responsibilities at the computer. Today, I’m juggling emails, finishing reports, editing texts, and writing this [...]

Striving for Imperfection

When I was a young writer, I saw the written word as carefully crafted and immaculate. Writing was the transfer of knowledge from the [...]

A Tale of Two Sentences

Every good thing I have written has two introductions: one for the reader, and one for myself. The former is my objective, but I [...]

Give a Good Gift

Recently I came across an article by Stephen Pressfield that reminded me my readers are  “donating [their] time and attention, which are supremely valuable [...]

2018-11-19T18:04:56+00:00September 24th, 2018|Comments Off on Writing Reflections