Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating Christine A. Treece in the successful completion of their dissertation:

Psychologists’ Use of a Dog in Psychotherapy: A Therapeutic Exploration

This study was an in-depth exploration of licensed psychologists’ experiences with bringing their dogs to work. Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis was used, and nine primary themes were identified. Responses included several differences from already existing literature, including dogs’ rolls, impacts on dogs, specific interventions, and challenges with dogs at the office.  

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

Finding a topic of personal interest is vital because a significant amount of time spent thinking about, writing, and reviewing the work. Seeking writing support as needed is critical; consulting with The WEX editors early in the process can make the project less daunting. Most importantly – Keep at it! Schedule dissertation work time every week and stick to it.

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

My dissertation marked the completion of doctoral program at Antioch. From this project, I am creating a presentation/workshop for other mental health practitioners who plan to use animal-assisted (dog) therapy in their work. I am currently using my education and clinical training in my private practice work with children and adolescents; however, my learning never ends. An immediate goal is to use the information I discovered from the professionals in my dissertation to select and train a dog to work with me at my office.    

Christine A. Treece, Psy.D, LMHC, Antioch University Seattle