Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating J. Love Benton in the successful completion of her dissertation:

Culturally Collaborative Teaching: A Path Toward Black Student Learning

I gathered data that indicate how k-12 inservice teachers understand what enables Black students to learn. The findings reveal that respondents shared five key constructs as being important to Black students’ learning: “professional and skills development,” “impacts of administrative responsiveness and supports,” “caring,” “trust,” and “inclusion of lived experiences.” By integrating the results of both Black and White teachers’ responses, I theorize a framework which represents a path for Black student learning. I call this framework Culturally Collaborative Teaching.

WEX is always interested in learning from successful writers about their process. Here, Dr. J. Love Benton shares a few pointers:

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

It was a pleasure working with WEX as I finished my dissertation. The service was excellent, efficient, and helped me reach my completion goal. I would like to offer to anyone writing a dissertation to ask for help and seek support. It is important that you know all of the available options needed to finish. Plan your work and work your plan!

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

I plan to continue conducting research to examine what Black students believe is important in helping them to learn. I also plan to seek fulltime employment as a professor within a college of education and continue to conduct professional development trainings for inservice teachers throughout k-12 school districts.

J. Love Benton, PhD, Graduate School in Leadership & Change, Antioch University