Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating Michelle Taylor in the successful completion of her dissertation:

Flourishing With Chronic Pain

My study looked at the well-being of individuals with moderate to severe chronic pain through a positive psychology lens. Guided by the PERMA model, the goal was to track enhancers and challenges for well-being in reference to the model’s five components: positive emotions, engagement, positive relationships, meaning, and accomplishment.

WEX is always interested in learning from successful writers about their process. Here, Michelle Taylor shares a few pointers:

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

For those writing a dissertation, I would recommend two things: (1) choose a topic that inspires you, and (2) keep your research method as simple as possible. In my opinion, both of these recommendations are what will keep you moving forward with the process. My topic was personal to me, so it helped with my motivation to write; further, I know I can carry out more research utilizing a different method(s), so keeping it simple to start was optimal.

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

My next step is studying for the EPPP, while looking for jobs that involve working with individuals with chronic pain. I’m interested in publishing my work, and carrying out further research in this arena. Ultimately, I would like to be an advocate for the chronic pain community, with the goal of changing the negative conversation and stigma surrounding this population.

Michelle Taylor, PsyD, Program in Clinical Psychology, Antioch University Seattle