Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating Kelle Agassiz in the successful completion of their dissertation:

The Strategically Broken System: A Grounded Theory Study of the Clinical Implications of Immigration Law, Policy, and Practice

This study explored the relationship between the psychological implications of immigration and the legal challenges that immigrants face today, with a focus on immigration from Central America and Mexico. Through qualitative interviews with attorneys and clinicians with expertise in immigration, the grounded theory, The Strategically Broken System emerged.

WEX is always interested in learning from successful writers about their process. Here, Kelle Agassiz shares a few pointers:

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

Be persistent and work on your dissertation as much as you possibly can. Ensure that you are continuously taking steps that progress your dissertation research forward. Also, communicate with your dissertation chair frequently.   

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

One of my next steps includes adapting my dissertation for the publication of a book with the publishing company, Taylor & Francis, alongside my dissertation chair and co-author of the book. I am currently completing my doctoral internship with the Federal Bureau of Prisons at the Federal Medical Center in Rochester, MN. I intend to continue working with individuals who experience serious mental illness and are involved with the legal system.

Kelle Agassiz, PsyD, Program in Clinical Psychology, Antioch University Seattle