Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating Dr. Eric Charlton in the successful completion of his dissertation:

Self-Concept, Healthcare, and Leadership: Understanding the Lived Experiences of Physician Leaders in Urban Community Healthcare Centers

This study focuses on eight physicians who work in urban community health centers in the southwestern Ohio region, and thirteen interviews describing the phenomena of their meaning making of self and identity. Findings for understanding motivations, lived backgrounds, career decisions, and/or other rewards that influence physicians in UCHCs are well established.

WEX is always interested in learning from successful writers about their process. Here, Dr. Eric Charlton shares a few pointers:

How has WEX professional coaching/editing support promoted your academic and/or professional success?

The WEX editing support process allowed me to focus only on my research initially, knowing that I had editing experts for the finalization portion of my dissertation.

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

Allow ample time to understand APA format so that you can utilize those skills as much as you can. Then you won’t have to spend a lot of energy at the end of your dissertation journey, because most likely you will be mentally exhausted by that time you defend.

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

The next steps in my professional career are to implement my research with my personal and professional development of Charlton & Associates clients, while also contributing to Leadership and Change as an adjunct professor.

Eric Charlton, PhD, Graduate School in Leadership & Change, Antioch University