Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating Richelene Cesar in the successful completion of their dissertation:

Narrative Enhancement and Cognitive Therapy with Correctional Psychiatric Patients: A Pilot Study

I researched whether mental illness and criminality self-stigma would reduce among correctional psychiatric patients within a prison setting after engagement in Narrative Enhancement and Cognitive Therapy (NECT). I also explored whether NECT would have a beneficial impact on self-efficacy and self-esteem over the course of the treatment.

WEX is always interested in learning from successful writers about their process. Here, Richelene Cesar shares a few pointers:

How has WEX professional coaching/editing support promoted your academic and/or professional success?

I found WEX’s attention to detail to be extremely helpful during this process. There were little things I hadn’t realized I missed while completing this dissertation, and with the help of WEX, I was able to put forth the best version of my work. I really appreciated their dedication to helping me!

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

Take your time, and get support where you can. This is a difficult process, but it’s not impossible, and you never have to do it alone.

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

I am currently a psychotherapist and consultant at a group practice in Boston, MA called, And Still We Rise, LLC. We specialize in decolonizing mental health and making mental health care accessible to routinely marginalized individuals.

Richelene Cesar, PsyD, Program in Clinical Psychology, Antioch University, New England