Please join The Writers’ Exchange in congratulating Dr. Falami Devoe in the successful completion of her dissertation:

In Pictures and Words: A Womanist Answer to Addressing the Lived Experience of African American Women and Their Bodies—A Gumbo of Liberation and Healing

The purpose of my qualitative participatory study was to reveal how gender, race, and sexual orientation impact the lived experiences of African American women and their bodies. This study brings attention to and provides a more nuanced understanding of the historical and sociocultural ramifications of the Black female body. The research brings to life shared stories of liberation, healing and resistance, challenging assumptions of Black womanhood.

WEX is always interested in learning from successful writers about their process. Here, Dr. Falami Devoe shares a few pointers:

What advice would you give to others writing a dissertation?

I would advise those writing a dissertation to establish a consistent writing and editing time in your schedule. I found it very helpful to set mini goals for each week. Celebrate the attainment of those mini goals! I am a Self-Care Coach, so I would be remiss not to encourage dissertators to create and maintain a self-care practice.

What are your next steps in your academic/professional career?

Currently, I am a faculty member with Antioch’s Individualized Masters and Undergraduate program and also serve as the Colloquium Coordinator. At some point, I plan to work with all if not most of my dissertation committee in coauthoring future publications. I look forward to presenting nationally and internationally about my research study findings and the implications of Black women’s health and well-being. Additionally, I will seek opportunities to curate community projects utilizing Narrative Photovoice and Poetic Inquiry; the methods used in my study project. Finally, I will continue to provide spaces for healing and liberation for African American women and seek to expand those spaces to many communities.

Yolandé Falami Devoe, PhD, Graduate School in Leadership & Change, Antioch University